Remember the days when we read the newspaper over a cup of coffee every morning and watched the evening news on TV? We were quite happy to get our news just once a day. That’s no longer the case.
Now we expect to see eye-witness accounts of events as they are occurring. This appetite for instant visual news has changed the way news is gathered, reported and consumed.
While this is not good news for the media, it has opened many new opportunities for businesses and organizations: brands can become a content resource for the media (earned media), publish their own news, (owned media/brand journalism) and buy space for branded content on news and social sites (paid media).
5 Digital Media Relations Strategies for 2013
- Visual Storytelling - Studies show that adding visuals to a text story increases views and engagement by as much as 9x.
- Become a resource for the media - newsrooms are under pressure and are working with limited resources. Offer experts, research and visual material to expand and enhance a story.
- Brand journalism - tell your own stories using blogs, mini-sites and industry news sites.
- A smart distribution plan - an email to a few journalists and placing your news release on the wire is not enough. Build a network of influencers who will give your content legs.
- A social online newsroom - House all your content and run it like apublishing exercise. It's a venue for editors and community managers to collaborate, curate and syndicate your news content.
Download the full report and find out how to use these strategies in 2013.
At PRESSfeed we help our clients stay ahead in the rapidly moving digital media landscape. PRESSfeed is a hosted online newsroom with social features and integration, as well as the elements journalists, bloggers and the public expect in a corporate newsroom today. We offer initial training in how to use the newsroom to improve your media relations. Our News OptimizationToolbar offers full instructions on how to optimize news releases, images and video for search. We do monthly training webinars for our clients to keep them informed about the latest technology and media relations trends and tools. http://www.press-feed.com